Pages

Saturday, August 22, 2026

Umbria Jazz Photo Diary









The first two weeks of July I was in Perugia, Italy, for the Umbria Jazz festival. Umbria Jazz 26 was held a week earlier than usual, because the organizers wanted to book Sting, who was available only on July 3rd. It was definitely worth it! Sting has performed in Perugia three times: in 1987, 2012 and 2026. I was there in 2012 as well and I have to say, Sting looked and sounded better than ever before!

Umbria Jazz 26 had a recordbreaking number of sold tickets... 46,000! There was an average of 20,000 visitors per day (for 10 days) who watched approximately 275 shows (28 shows per day, divided over 15 venues). Can you believe that? It's the biggest jazz festival in Italy and I will show you why. Perugia is a beautiful city, with stunning architecture. There are many -and I do mean many- good restaurants and bars. The local food is no nonsense, just how I like it! Pasta, pizza, veggies and salads, hamburgers... there is something to suit al tastes.








Umbria Jazz always knows how to please the crowds.... from big pop and rock stars at the Arena Santa Giuliana (their biggest venue) to "niche" jazz musicians at the Teatro Morlacchi and Sala Podiani... From jazz music for kids to the "swing stage" at Mercato Coperto, where people could dance to traditional jazz music... From jazz lunches and aperitivi at restaurant La Taverna and wine bar La Bottega del Vino to blues and rock and roll at the Giardini Carducci... it's just too much to mention.

Some of my favorite shows included Sting, Jon Batiste, Gilberto Gil, Zucchero, Cécile McLorin Salvant, Kenny Barron, Sugarpie and the Candymen (at La Bottega del Vino), Accordi Disaccordi and Ray Gelato (both at Giardini Carducci). Unfortunately I also missed several concerts that I really wanted to see... but that's just part of the deal when you're at a big music festival.







What I love most about Umbria Jazz is the people and the atmosphere. While Perugia is very crowded during Umbria Jazz, there are still places and moments to enjoy a romantic sunset, watching little kids dance to jazz music, an unexpected street artist who takes your breath away, connecting with old and new friends, dancing salsa and samba at the arena, sipping an Aperól Spritz while overlooking the Umbrian hills... 

Thank you Perugia and thank you Umbria Jazz!

Want to read more about Perugia and the Umbria Jazz festival? Please continue here:
Five things to do in Perugia
Holiday Season in Umbria
Ristorante La Taverna Perugia

No comments:

Post a Comment