Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2022

Venice


















Venice, or Venezia, as it is called in Italian, is a city I wanted to visit for a long time. I was there as a little girl, but never had the chance to go back, until now. Wow!!! What a stunning place! The architecture, San Marco square, the canals, the gondolieri.... it was a thousand times better than I had imagined.

As my loyal followers will know, I love Italy & have been to many Italian cities, such as Rome, Florence, Milan and Naples. Now I can add Venice as a favourite destination for a city break in Italy.

Although I have to warn you: it is an expensive place and not very suitable for people with limited mobility and wheelchair users. Because of the large amount of canals and bridges, you have to walk a lot. However, I did see people with walking sticks and wheelchairs, whom I deeply respect and applaud.

Venice is a very special city, with many museums, tourist attractions, hotels, restaurants and shops. I absolutely loved going to the opera at the famous theatre La Fenice. (Tickets start at €100 but it is definitely worth it.) Having a cocktail at Bar Longhi, overlooking the Grand Canal, was also a mindblowing experience. (About €25 for an Aperol Spritz or Bellini.)

If you have enough time, go to the island of Burano. You can hire a private boat or go on a tour, either way, you have to see this pretty, colorful town. Murano is the other island really worth visiting, especially if you include a Murano Glass Factory tour.

Some of my favourite places:
The Gritti Palace Hotel
Bar Longhi
Caffè Florian
Teatro La Fenice
Peggy Guggenheim Collection (museum)
T Fondaco dei Tedeschi (shopping mall)
Vineria All'Amarone
Hostaria Castello
Bar il Caravellino

No comments:

Post a Comment