Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Picture Perfect Puglia



















Last week I went to Puglia, one of the few italian regions that I hadn’t been to before. Some call it the “New Tuscany” but I think that’s a little too easy! By the way, it doesn’t do either of the regions any justice. Puglia is hot, that’s for sure. It offers the best of both the seaside and the countryside, citylife, art & culture, old traditions and
-like any italian region- a great cuisine.

In the next few weeks more in-depth articles about Puglia will follow, but for now I just want to show you the diversity of this great holiday destination. I visited some of the hotspots: Trani, Alberobello, Ostuni, Polignano a Mare and Bari. But there are many other places to be discovered!

Trani is a lovely old harbour town, with a lively fishmarket and a vibrant nightlife. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw the amount of bars and restaurants in the marina! But Trani is actually famous for it’s ancient cathedral, dating back to the 12th century. It’s breathtakingly beautiful.

Alberobello is famous for it’s coneshaped houses, called “Trulli”. This incredible little town consists of over 1500 trulli and is jokingly called Trulliland(ia). It’s very touristy, but I wouldn’t have missed it for the world. Alberobello is just unique! Walk up the hill to see the trulli church,  Chiesa di Sant'Antonio and have some iceceam afterwards at Arte Fredda (Largo Martellotta, 47).

Beautiful Ostuni is nicknamed “la Città Bianca” (the white town) because of the whitewashed houses in the historical centre. Ostuni is picture perfect and should not be missed! I would advise you to go early in the morning, in order to avoid the big number of tourists that arrive later during the day. Oh and do have a coffee at Borgo Antico, right across the cathedral… perfect for people-watching!

Polignano a Mare is yet another picturesque town in Puglia. Birthplace of the famous italian singer Domenico Modugno (you all know his song “Nel blu dipinto di blu” a.k.a. “Volare”), Polignano nowadays hosts the Red Bull Cliff Diving World Series.

One of the highlights of my trip to Puglia, was a visit to “Masseria Il Frantoio”, a 500 years old farm turned hotel close to Ostuni. Me and my travel companions enjoyed a six course lunch that was just unforgettable!! (More about this place later on my blog)

Oh and before I forget, I ended my trip in Bari, where I took a guided tour of the historical centre in a rickshaw. A rickshaw? Yes… I know, it sounds really cheesy, but it was actually a very fun way to discover the city. Especially since we stopped for fresh focaccia, beer, wine, pasta and icecream on the way. Puglia has a lot to offer and I will definitely be back!

For more photos and inspiration check out my social media accounts:
@tarasdolcevita on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

For more information please visit:
http://www.viaggiareinpuglia.it/hp/en

Many thanks to Regione Puglia & USP Marketing PR.

No comments:

Post a Comment